Dermal fillers are another popular treatment and tend to go hand in hand with Botox as a complementary treatment. Often, as we age our face seems to lose that elasticity and tightness it had as a young adult. Dermal fillers are a popular way to help reduce or correct that with substances to add fullness back to the skin.
While Botox treats only dynamic wrinkles, Dermal fillers work with static wrinkles. Static wrinkles usually occur around the mouth and along the cheeks. Unlike dynamic wrinkles, static wrinkles are due to a breakdown of tissue, collagen, and loss of elasticity in the skin.
What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers may help you add volume to thinning lips giving them that plump, youthful look most of us are seeking. Often referred to as “soft tissue fillers,” this form of treatment uses safe substances such as:
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite – a natural substance found in your bones.
- Hyaluronic Acid – also found in other areas of the body such as the cheeks other soft tissue with significant fullness.
- Polyalkylimide – is a clear polymer gel that is biocompatible and adds fullness to the face.
- Polylactic Acid – a plant-derived substance that stimulates your skin causing it to create collagen. which stimulates the skin to produce more collagen.
- Polymethyl-methacrylate microspheres (PMMA) – is a semi-permanent filler used for a more impactful result in medium to deep wrinkles.
Each one of these dermal fillers is designed with treating specific types of wrinkles in specific areas. They do take time to work and their longevity varies with each patient. Some fillers can last six months while others last much longer; as much as two years or more.
You should discuss your needs and options with one of our smile consultants to determine the best choice for you.
What can dermal fillers correct?
Fill and plump thinning lips
Fill in sunken or shadows in the face, improving contours
Reduce or remove the shadow and/or wrinkle caused by the lower eyelid
Fill or soften recessed scarring
Fill or soften static wrinkles